In the Free MMORPG market, there is a LOT of competition. But with competition, typically follows quality to ensure that the companies who want your business will stand out from the rest. Here are a couple of free online mmorpg shooters whom I feel stand above the rest:
5. S4 League - S4 League is a somewhat unique addition to the genre of free online mmorpg shooters in that was developed by Pentevision and published by alaplaya. It's more action oriented then most shooters on this list and it's unique in it's style of graphics. The graphics are akin to something you would see in the most popular of anime series. It's incredibly colorful and vibrant. The game is played through arenas of a multitude of different game modes such as touch down, or team death match.
4. Global Agenda: Free Agent - Global Agenda is again pretty unique for this genre as it was the first I'd played that tried to introduce PVE to the MMOFPS genre. It was developed and published by Hi-Rez Studios (the same people who did Tribes Ascend). While the graphics are somewhat standard, it's the gameplay that sets it apart from the rest. It has an actual story behind it that's compelling and drives you to play more and more. GA: FA is mostly open world, with few instances and dungeons.
3. APB Reloaded - APB Reloaded is set apart from all the other shooters is that it takes the simple idea of "cops and robbers" and takes it for a joy ride. It's the most open world game I've played to date with a huge world filled with players that may or may not want to kill you. There's the "crims" who are looting the place and mugging the citizens with their assault rifles and there's the cops set in place to stop them, even if it means pulling out a rocket launcher and taking a few citizens out in the mean time. It's all open world PVP in this title developed by Realtime Worlds and published by Gamersfirst.
2. Blacklight Retribution - The first notable thing anyone will say about BLR is the cutting edge graphics. It's right up there with recent AAA titles with it's Unreal Engine 3 and DirectX 11. And don't think people play it only for it's pretty face! The gameplay in this title is amazing with unique hi-tech X ray vision that lets you briefly spot enemy players coming to ambush you or it's highly customizable character creation! This title is developed by Zombie Studios and published by Perfect World Entertainment!
1. And my personal favorite out of all of these shooters is Planetside 2. If you haven't heard of this title, you've been living under a rock. This game takes open world persistent shooters to the next level! On any of three different maps, three different factions (The NC, Vanu and the Terran Republic) are at deadly war. Each faction has their own strength and weaknesses designed to feel comfortable for all different types of gamers! The best part of this game is the outfits (kind of like guilds or clans in other games). Imagine rolling with 20-30 other players in a cooperative group, with tanks and sunderers (slow moving buses), ready to stomp any opposition that dares to cross your path! If you check nothing else out of this list, definitely give Planetside 2 a try. Planetside 2 was both developed and published by Sony Online Entertainment.